We're here to help you find happiness
Mahamudra Centre for Universal Unity is situated on 8 acres in the inspirational setting of Colville Valley, Coromandel Peninsula. Surrounded by meadows, woods and the lovely hills of the Coromandel range, our ambience is conducive to peace, calm and healing.
Mahamudra Centre is a charitable trust in New Zealand and affiliated with the Foundation for the Preservation of the Mahayana Tradition (FPMT)* – an international organization in the Gelugpa tradition which has over 150 centres, hospices and projects worldwide.
Mahayana (Sanskrit for “Great Vehicle”) is one of two main existing branches of Buddhism (the other being Theravada) and a term used in the classification of Buddhist philosophies and practice.
Back in the early 1980s, Colville locals Roy Fraser and Sally Barraud saw the opportunity to build a beautiful retreat centre in the Coromandel Peninsula. They envisioned bringing Tibetan Buddhist teachers of meditation to help others develop their minds in order to find true happiness.
Following the advice of their teacher, Lama Zopa Rinpoche, who is the Spiritual Director of the Foundation for the Preservation of the Mahayana Tradition (FPMT), they bought a local farmhouse and land. With the help of many kind volunteers and community members, they began transforming it into the amazing peaceful refuge it is now. The Mahamudra Centre for Universal Unity welcomes anyone who is searching for inner peace, and provides many retreats, public talks, courses, prayers and other activities to provide the tools to develop a happy and positive mind.
Outreach with the Community
- Daily guided meditation at the centre
- Speakers and meditation leaders available for schools, addiction support programs, senior and social groups, and more. Contact us to request someone to come to your group.
- Support for local community to join programs on a donation basis
- Special classes offered in various locations in the Coromandel Peninsula
- Monthly community lunches
Support for Your Daily Practice
- Make an appointment with one of our “old” students or one of our teachers or sangha members for guidance in your daily practice, or just for extra inspiration and ideas if your current practice is feeling stale.
- Join an online discussion on our Facebook group and put your questions and ideas to the local dharma community!
- Contact us with your requests to have someone added to our dedication prayer list
- Baby Blessing and Animal Blessing (subject to availability of qualified sangha member)
- Holy Object Consecration and Blessing (as above)
Spiritual Care Resources for the Dying and Bereaved
- One-on-one or family support sessions (by appointment only)
- Prayers for the ill and deceased
- Practice support
Personal Retreat Support
- General retreat advice based on experience in supporting many individuals in retreat
- Logistical support for long-term retreatants including shopping and regular written check-ins that support silence
- Discounted accommodation rates
Offering a Place of Refuge and Practice
- Gompa, Stupa, Stupa meditation room, and beautiful grounds open daylight hours (except during certain courses/retreats or when posted)
- Bringing qualified Tibetan Buddhist Lamas and FPMT teachers from around the world to our small corner of New Zealand